Hours | Gear Rental | Van Rental | Gear Sale
Cornell Outdoor Education's Outfitting Center is Ithaca's most comprehensive outdoor equipment rental center. We can supply the necessary gear for all of COE's course offerings. Additionally, we rent a very wide selection of equipment to the community at large. We carry camping and backpacking gear, canoes, sea kayaks, cross-country and telemark skis, snowshoes, and more. Come to Outfitting to gear up for your next adventure.
COE’s Outfitting Rental Center believes getting outside shouldn’t break the bank and that’s reflected in our rates. COE is a non-profit organization with an educational mission, offering a wide range of classes and programs for the Cornell community and general public. Call us or visit us online before your next outdoor adventure. We’ll do our part to help you get outfitted to enjoy the outdoors.
Download our rental brochure or see below for price details.
Cornell Outdoor Education has a fleet of 12 and 15 passenger vans. When they are not in use for our programs, they are available for rent for any Cornell Departments or other official Cornell event. Contact us or view the online calendar to check on van availability. All drivers must be registered with Cornell Fleet Services and complete their Large Van Training. Fees and regulations can be found in the van driver policies listed at the end of this page. To submit a reservation request, click here or fill out the form below.
VAN RENTAL POLICIES
Authorized Renters and Drivers
Only employees and student employees of Cornell University with a valid driver’s license may operate fleet vehicles. All drivers must register with Cornell Fleet Services and complete their Large Van Training.
Approved Cornell faculty, staff, students and their guests can be authorized by their department as passengers in a fleet vehicle in order to meet the college’s business need.
- COE vehicles may not be used for personal business nor may the vehicle be used in commuting to and from an individual’s place of residence.
- Members of an employee’s family or other unauthorized passengers not associated with the University may not ride in a COE vehicle.
- Animals may not be transported in a COE vehicle without prior approval.
All drivers must:
- Have in their possession a valid driver's license.
- Notify Fleet Services of any change in license status.
- Wear seat belts when driving or occupying a university vehicle.
- Operate a university vehicle in accordance with university regulations and applicable state laws.
- Assume responsibility for any and all fines or traffic violations associated with your use of a university vehicle.
- Never drive while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Never transport passengers such as hitchhikers, family members, or friends for unauthorized use.
- Lock the vehicle when you leave it unattended.
- Never drive the vehicle at speeds that are inappropriate for road conditions.
- Never use a cell phone while driving.
- Smoking is not permitted in any university-owned vehicles.
- Remove all personal items and trash before returning the vehicle to the fleet garage.
- Trips outside NY State must be in 12 rather than 15 passenger vans.
- Unforeseen van maintenance issues may result in reservation cancellation, though every effort will be made to accommodate your needs to another vehicle, if one is available.
Daily: $60 per day and gas at $0.31 per mile.
Monthly: $42 per day and gas at $0.31 per mile.
As with all Cornell Fleet vehicles, purchase gas with the debit card in the van console. Vans returned after the reserved time will be charged a $50 fee. If the vans are left in dirty condition then the last user will be charged a $50 fee. Likewise, no-shows or reservations cancelled within one week of the reservation will be charged a $50 fee.
Account numbers are needed two weeks prior to confirm reservations. Please cancel reservations 1 week (7 days) prior to departure. Failure to do so may result in a $50 fee.
Please report all accidents to Mark Holton at firstname.lastname@example.org. There is a $500.00 deductible for all van accidents, and this is charged to the driver of the van or his/her department.